With Tuesday's release of a nearly 900-page report from the grand jury into allegations of child sexual abuse in Pennsylvania Catholic churches, here is a list of resources for those looking for help.
- Childline: 1-800-932-0313
- Pittsburgh Diocese Abuse Hotline: 1-888-808-1235
- SNAP Support Line: 1-877-762-7432
- Pa. Attorney General's Office Hotline: 888-538-8541
- Pittsburgh Action Against Rape: 1-866-363-7273
— WPXI (@WPXI) August 14, 2018
- Monday, Aug. 20 -- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. meeting at Carnegie Library-Southside Branch, Pittsburgh
- Tuesday, Aug. 21 -- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Blasco Memorial Library, 160 East Front Street, Erie
- Monday, Aug. 20 -- 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at McCormick Riverfront Library, 101 Walnut Street, Harrisburg
- Tuesday, Aug. 21 -- 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Allentown Public Library, 1210 Hamilton Street, Allentown
- Mon., Aug. 20 -- 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Albright Memorial Library, 500 Vine Street, Scranton
Advocates for child sex abuse victims told Channel 11 this report is likely to bring forward new victims and that those victims need to know there are resources out there, if and when they need help.
"It's heinous and it's reprehensible that you have a trusted person in that child's life manipulating them to the point that they can't tell," said Allison Hall of Pittsburgh Action Against Rape.
Hall said many victims were convinced by their abusers not to tell anyone. Others were traumatized by the idea of telling someone so trusted by the community.
"Think about coming forward and think about the stigma that child or that teen would endure telling that this very trusted person in their lives and the parents lives and the community lives has sexually assaulted them," Hall said.
She understands that the new report is likely to bring forward more victims and wants them to know there are places to turn to now for help.
"I only hope that if someone has not sought help for their victimization that they reach out to PAAR," Hall said. "We are here for them."
- List of alleged predator priests in Pittsburgh and Greensburgh Diocese
© 2018 Cox Media Group.