Jack Stack Pool in Brighton Heights reopens after deadly shooting

PITTSBURGH — One week after terror unfolded as two women were shot outside the Jack Stack Pool, the Brighton Heights location is back open.

“It shows that we are resilient as a community and as a city. We don’t let incidents like this keep us from enjoying our communities,” said Lee Schmidt, Pittsburgh Public Safety director.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE >>> 1 woman killed, 1 injured in shooting near park in Brighton Heights; suspect in custody

Lifeguards who were at the pool at the time of the shooting last week stood behind city leaders - who thanked them for going back to work at a place where they witnessed deadly gun violence.

“I just want to commend them for being resilient- coming back here today,” said Councilman Bobby Wilson.

“They did exactly what they needed to do the night of the incident and we’re very proud of them,” said Shelley Terlecki, the aquatic supervisor.

>>> Family of 2 women shot near Brighton Heights swimming pool asking for answers

Last week, 35-year-old Darkale Bonner was shot and killed 200 feet away from the pool. Another woman was also shot. She remains in critical but stable condition.

Officials say that the shooting happened after an argument that started inside the pool made its way outside.

The deadly incident caused the Jack Stack pool to close until Wednesday. Pittsburgh’s police chief says his office is working with the city to put a security plan in place for all city pools in the next ten days - where specific protocols will be followed.

“I appreciate that they’re trying to deal with it but I’d like more specifics on exactly what are they going to do. How much of a police presence is there going to be, how long are they going to keep the police here?” said Bill Vidonic, who lives nearby.

Right now, officials say there will be around-the-clock security when the Jack Stack Pool is open throughout the summer. The chief says another safety strategy is to streamline communication between Zone 1 police and lifeguards who would have a direct dial to officers instead of calling 911.

“The police are doing the best job that they can but they don’t have enough staff right now and that’s the problem,” Vidonic said.

The police chief says he’ll be working through the week, partnering with city parks who will get the first draft of the new safety protocols. The chief says they’ll be in place within the next 10 days. He says the shooting remains under investigation and couldn’t provide any updates.

Download the FREE WPXI News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Channel 11 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch WPXI NOW