WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. - The wait is almost over! Kennywood’s newest roller coaster, “The Steel Curtain,” opens to thrill-seekers this weekend!
While the record-setting coaster opens to the public Saturday, Channel 11’s Mike Holden was among the first people to experience the twists and turns of the highly anticipated ride Friday morning.
Sending riders upside down through nine inversions -- the most of any roller coaster in North America -- The Steel Curtain hits a top speed of 75 mph along its 4,000 feet of track.
At 220 feet, the coaster is now Pennsylvania’s tallest, according to Kennywood. It also includes the world’s tallest inversion, at 197 feet high.
Part of a collaboration with the Pittsburgh Steelers, The Steel Curtain is the flagship attraction of a themed section of Kennywood that’s being called “Steelers Country.”
Fittingly, members of the Steelers took a ceremonial first ride later in the morning Friday. Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman and the second family were also there.
- 11 things to know about the Steel Curtain
- Watch what it'll be like when you ride the new 'Steel Curtain'
- New "Steel Curtain" coaster makes first test runs at Kennywood
- Final piece of 'Steel Curtain' coaster installed at Kennywood
- Cars arrive for new Steel Curtain roller coaster at Kennywood
- First look at Kennywood's Steelers Country, new roller coaster Steel Curtain'
- Kennywood unveils cars for new Steel Curtain coaster
- New coaster Steel Curtain, Steelers Experience coming to Kennywood in 2019
© 2019 Cox Media Group.